Desertscape Series Image Synopsis

This group of small paintings was initiated to help me with my compositional layouts for future surrealistically styled works.  (Most of these paintings are 9 x12 and smaller.)  When I sketch, it’s just black and white line sketches, so these smaller paintings help me to explore different color combos and land placement, as well as, define the themes a little more. 

When considering various themes, I focus on the overall mood, which is peaceful and calm, so I tend to shy away from turbulent skies and a lot of “action” taking place in the painting.

For the figures, I’ll choose:

1) One or two figures either wandering around in the desert trying to determine the best path OR

2) A person lying down at rest. (Recouping after a long journey, healing after a hurt, or dreaming) OR

3) A figure sitting prayerfully at the foot of a cross, viewing a cross at a distance or just a simple cross in the desert, which can be used to help communicate:

• The peacefulness of focusing on Jesus’ presence in our lives.

• Taking time to contemplate Jesus’ work on the cross.

• Pondering the path of faith that we travel along with Jesus.

• The beauty of the rugged cross.


I also look at the spiritual aspects involved: Is Christ specifically represented in the composition by a cross, Christlike figure, or other Christian symbol?   Or does His visual absence in the scenario speak louder?    If so, how could this be interpreted by the viewer?      Positive or negative?

No comments:

Post a Comment